The 2018 VolunTeen Program is now closed. Applications are no longer being accepted.
VolunTeen Program - Summer 2018 Information
The Northside Forsyth VolunTeen program offers an excellent educational opportunity for high school teens, ages of 16-18, with an interest in healthcare. Our comprehensive six-week program allows students to experience the total healthcare environment through volunteer service. Each VolunTeen participant is trained and supervised by either a Northside Hospital Forsyth Auxiliary member or a hospital staff member, and assigned to one department. Teens volunteer one day each week for a 4-hour shift and may attend two Lunch and Learn events offered during the summer session. Participants that successfully complete the summer program, by receiving a satisfactory competency from their assigned department and attend at least one Lunch and Learn event, are invited to participate in our fall and spring programs. These students may reapply each year for the summer program as well.
2018 Summer VolunTeen Program Dates:
June 11, 2018 – July 20, 2018
- Must be 16 years of age by January 1, 2018 and enrolled in high school
- Must have an interest in healthcare.
- Must be committed to volunteering for the full six-week period, beginning June 11, 2018 and ending July 20, 2018.
- Must be able to complete one (1) 4-hour shift per week during the 6-week program. Morning and afternoon shifts are available (either 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.), Monday through Friday only. Weekend and evening shifts are not available options for VolunTeens. To receive full credit, participants must be present for the entire 4-hour shift and may only have one excused absence during the six-week program period. No absences are permitted during the first week of the program.
- Must attend the mandatory orientation session on Thursday, May 31, 2018.
- Must attend at least one Lunch and Learn during the six-week program. Lunch and Learns are scheduled for June 19, June 29, July 2 and July 12, and reservations are required.
- Must wear appropriate uniform at all times while volunteering. Uniforms will be discussed at the interview and during orientation.
- ID badges and work placements will be distributed during mandatory orientation.
- VolunTeens will not work on Wednesday, July 4, 2018 in observation of Independence Day.
- Participation letters including number of hours volunteered and invitations for the year-round VolunTeen program are mailed to teens fulfilling the summer program requirements on August 10, 2018.
- Only teens who have volunteered during a summer session are eligible to volunteer during the school year.
- Returning VolunTeens are those who have volunteered with Northside Hospital Forsyth’s VolunTeen program previously. Due to program differences, those who have volunteered at other Northside Hospital campuses must be considered new VolunTeens.
Application Process & Timeline
Step 1: Complete the appropriate online application and all associated printed forms:
Step 2: Place the completed forms and sealed recommendation letters into a single large envelope to ensure all your materials stay together.
Step 3: Submit all completed forms by 3 p.m. on February 28, 2018.
All documents must be sent to Dianne Baker, VolunTeen Coordinator, by 3 p.m. on February 28, 2018 for consideration.
Northside Hospital Forsyth
ATTN: Dianne Baker
1200 Northside Drive
Cumming, GA 30041
Step 4: Once all documents are received, you will receive an email about scheduling an interview. Interview dates for new applicants are March 10 and March 17, 2018.
Step 5: Decision letters will be mailed on April 4. Acceptance Packets must be returned by April 30, 2018.
Step 6: Mandatory Orientation takes place on May 31, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., where you will receive your ID Badge and placement.
Step 7: VolunTeens report for work at their assigned shift beginning June 11, 2018.